Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Poem

I'm very well, thank you.

There is nothing the matter with me
I’m as healthy as can be.
I have arthritis in both my knees
And when I talk - I talk with a wheeze.
My pulse is weak and my blood is thin,
But, I’m awfully well for the shape I’m in.
And supports I have for my feet
Or I wouldn’t be able to be out on the street.
Sleep is denied me night after night
But every morning I find I’m alright.
My memory is failing, my head’s in a spin,
But, I’m awfully well for the shape I’m in.

My moral is this - as my tale I unfold
That for you and me who are getting old
It’s better to say “I’m fine” with a grin
Than to let folks know the shape we’re in.
How do I know that my youth is all spent?
Well, my ‘get and go’ and ‘got up and went’.
But I really don’t mind when I think with a grin
Of all the grand places my ‘got up’ has been.
Old age is golden, I’ve heard it said
But sometimes I wonder as I get into bed
With my ears in a draw, my teeth in a cup
My specs on the table until I get up,
‘Ere sleep overtakes me I say to myself
Is there anything else I could lay on the shelf?
When I was young my slippers were red
I could kick my heels right over my head.
When I was older my slippers were blue
But I could still dance the whole night through.
Now I am older my slippers are black
I walk to the shop and puff my way back.
I get up each morning and dust off my wits
And pick up the paper to read the obits.
My name is still missing so I know I’m not dead
And so I have breakfast and go back to bed.

By Beatrice Wigg, courtesy of Derek Buttle

(Beatrice Wigg taught many past residents of Needham.  Does anyone have any recollections of her?)

No comments:

Post a Comment