Search This Blog

Thursday 3 January 2013

They do things differently over there!


In multi stage day cycle racing, like the Tour of Britain, accommodation is arranged and booked.  In one continental event after an exhausting mountainous stage we were directed to an hotel and greeted by a radiant receptionist who handed me a key and enquired would I like my room with or without a woman?  My first thoughts were that it was a very well organised race but I was so ‘knackered’ I could hardly climb the stairs!
My charming fiancée, later to be my wife, Sheila, thought it was disgusting!
Booking into a hotel at home one is invariably asked “with or without a full English?”  I’m inclined to say “Continental!”

It seems that what happened to me is not unusual on the continent.  A recent newspaper report tells of a Japanese man who booked into an hotel and asked for a ‘lady of pleasure’ (not to be confused with a lady of leisure!) to be sent to his room.  Later there was a knock on the door and  on opening it he found his daughter standing there.  It was such a shock that he had a heart attack, collapsed and died.  Stick to the continental breakfast is my advice!
Derek Buttle

No comments:

Post a Comment