Search This Blog

Thursday 28 February 2013

A Long Road


Run over, suffered brain damage, accident announced as fatal on radio, days in coma, discharged unable to spell my name. Mentally impaired with my memory banks wiped clean and my mind in turmoil I found uniting words to form a sentence difficult. I was able, however, to recognise my lovely wife, Sheila and she became my mentor cementing our wedding ring inscription; “Love and happiness always.”  

I had months of speech therapy with the speech therapist bringing order to a troubled mind.  She suggested I compose a sentence which conveyed the word “tranquil.”  After many attempts I wrote;
“The sun is setting low in the sky, the heat of the day evaporated.  Boats are moored for the night.  Tired holiday-makers return to relax and enjoy the warmth of the evening in the historic fishing village which has known the grief of the cruel sea but has turned its back to savour the merriment of summer vacationists.” 

This was and is my therapy and is the reason I write.
Derek Buttle

No comments:

Post a Comment