Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 May 2013

Recollections


Godfrey & Mary, what a delightful couple.  I did not know them socially but just as Needham residents.

My wife, Sheila, ran Needham Post Office for 30 years and during this time we came to know the Newcombs. Often Post Office vehicles stopped to enquire the location of the Pottery and we would oblige with directions.  Before the Newcombs departed they presented us with a large (home produced) jug emblazoned with our names in appreciation of our helping to direct customers.

When my son passed the 11 plus, Mary, an ex-school teacher, said, “If he has any trouble with his homework - send him to me.”

Mary was a little absent minded and one day she walked with her baby in a pushchair to Harleston.  Whilst shopping she was offered and accepted a lift home.  At home - panic! She had left the babe and pushchair in Harleston.

For our 25th wedding anniversary Mary presented us with a pottery wall plaque which still hangs on one wall.  Mary also offered me a painting.  I’m no art connoisseur but the one shown to me seemed out of perspective so I declined it. 
Derek Buttle

Thank you Derek.  It was good to have a follow up to the article in the last edition of The Link.  I think you must rue the day you declined the painting!  H

No comments:

Post a Comment