Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 January 2014

In Memoriam

In memory of the passing of Harry Peters, long term Needham resident and artist of repute.

I purchased a beautiful painting viewed from the South Bank of the River Thames, depicting the upper pool of the Thames, famous Tower Bridge, the Tower of London and the Traitors’ Gate, the last view of many who were incarcerated in its dungeons.

Portrayed was a tug punching up the busy Thames just as the flood tide begins to ebb whilst overhead flew an iconic Battle of Britain Spitfire “flown by the few and owed so much by the many.”*

This cementation of ancient and modern provoked memories when, as a Thames Lighterman, I plied my trade and worked the Upper Pool many times.  The aircraft roundels reminded me of my time in the Royal Air Force in which both Harry and I served.

This perspective influenced my purchase.

*with apologies to Sir Winston Churchill

Derek Buttle

No comments:

Post a Comment