Search This Blog

Thursday 5 March 2015

Memories of Cycling in the War


I started cycling in war-torn London.  I wasn't old enough to be called up and I vividly recall the carnage of the blitz, V1s and V2s.  Food was on ration and in short supply but, as I had a strenuous job (Thames Lighterman), I received double rations.  

Cycling clubs lacked young men who were off fighting for peace and therefore clubs were made up of older members from denuded clubs.  When the boys came home they were so lean.  One, I recall was so thin, a "bag of bones", hollow cheeks - the colour of a lemon.  He had been a prisoner of the Japanese.

Mass motorisation was still to come and you could traverse major highways in complete safety.  If you saw four vehicles it was considered to be a traffic jam!

Memories of happy days.

Derek Buttle 

No comments:

Post a Comment