Search This Blog

Monday 8 January 2018

Meet the Reverend Nigel Tuffnel

I am the Rector of Needham and 7 other churches along the Waveney Valley, from Scole through to
Wortwell. As well as my ministry here, I have many interests; in fact life itself fascinates me, and is given meaning by an appreciation that there is a Creator within it all. This appreciation that there is a value to life and to the world has led me to be involved in environmental issues and practical care for the earth as a matter of Christian faith.

I am a bee-keeper. The complex lives of bees, and other social insects, have always intrigued me. I love to watch the way they live and work together, and even get honey as a reward. The fact that I am also helping to protect these important pollinators and so help the natural world is an added bonus!
I love reading and literature. There is so much knowledge out there, online and in books (physical and electronic), so much to learn and so little time in which to absorb it all.  If you ever visit me at the Rectory in Harleston, you will see that my study is lined with shelves and shelves of books. Christian and church books that I need for my work as a minister, but also books on science, poetry, fiction, humour, language, martial arts etc. etc.

I also like to feel alive and martial arts are one way that I can feel a little more alive.  I am currently too busy to train with an instructor, but I still try and keep up as much of the training and drills as I can.  I am not a violent person, but sadly self-defence is sometimes needed.  I simply see gaining these skills as part of my being a good citizen.  The training also helps to keep me fit!

Last but not least of my interests is motorbikes.  I got my first bike when I was 17 and only learned to drive a car when my daughter was born. I now ride a Kawasaki ZX900 which is not a hobby in itself but is certainly a very pleasurable way to get around.

As I seek to find what God's path is for me, I try to enjoy all that life brings to me, because life is a gift.  I contracted TB meningitis as a child and very nearly died.  So perhaps that is where I learned to appreciate each new morning, and not to take the next breath for granted.  But, whatever the cause I do see life as a gift; a divine gift to be accepted, lived to the full, and shared with others.  What better way is there to say thank you to the giver?   

 Nigel Tuffnell

No comments:

Post a Comment