Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 December 2011

The Benefits of Keeping Fit

Derek Buttle

With reference to “Extend” (Link - November), I started winter training at an early age for better sport performance and I have appreciated the benefits of fitness ever since and am continuing to maintain and enjoy a healthy exercise programme. 


Through such participation I have developed views which have helped overcome the perception that with age your steps are shorter, the miles longer and the shopping heavier.  Mind does matter.  Whatever your age, if you can move you can exercise.  “I can, I will, I must.”
Exercise is stress but can create suppleness, strength and well being.  It can also trigger the release of endorphins, a chemical substance in the brain that can make you feel better.  Exercise at least three times a week for twenty minutes but don’t over do it!  Choose an activity that you enjoy and remember that more is not necessarily better—it’s quality that counts.  Fitness is obtained by workout and recuperation coupled with good nutrition.  If you have an underlying health problem you should consult your doctor before starting a routine.  Whilst exercising, breathing should be slightly deeper than normal.  Fitness is for living.  It is so easy to give up.  Remember - “I can, I will, I must!”  
Thank you to Derek for his valuable contribution.  Do any other readers have keep fit/exercise routines they would like to share with us? If so, please email needhamlink@gmail.com    Ed













No comments:

Post a Comment