Search This Blog

Saturday 27 June 2015

In memory of Mary Howlett

Mary started her working life as a domestic servant for a prominent family. She was paid 2s6d per week. However she couldn’t spend her earnings as her only half day was Sunday when the shops were closed.  Mary was conscripted in the war to work in a munitions factory filling bomb and shell cases with explosives.  She worked in a ‘clean area’ where no metal was allowed but one unfortunate person was killed after forgetting a safety pin on her clothes which caused an explosion.  Mary was knocked to the ground by the blast. 

My wife, Sheila, and I were able to help Mary when her husband, Lennie, collapsed and died of a heart attack.  Mary repaid me some time later after my accident when I wasn’t allowed to walk on my own as my brain had become rather scrambled.  She chaperoned me and was always diligent and kind. 

Derek Buttle

Derek would like to thank the community minded people who deliver the Link in the Village.  He also is appreciative of the Link itself.                        
Thank you Derek!




No comments:

Post a Comment