Search This Blog

Friday 29 June 2018

Doing the Needham Walk

Slightly thunderous clouds were in the sky so I decided to take my jacket. I had no need of it for, as you can see from the picture above, the sun shone brightly. A goodly crowd of 18 people joined Stephen Poulter at The Red Lion for the beginning of Needham Heritage Walk (first public event of the Needham and Brockdish Heritage Project). 
As a Brockdishite (Brockdishian?) I have both walked and cycled through Needham village, but I confess, mainly I drive through. I have never done so much noticing - helped, of course, by our expert guide. Not only was my attention drawn to the true nature of some of Needham's ancient buildings hiding behind brick and later additions, but, until the walk, at least one village house has barely rippled the surface of my awareness. At one stage I felt as if I was walking through Needham past and present at the same time -  perhaps I should have worn a sun hat!
There was so much to see that we ran out of time and all agreed on a follow-up walk to view the central and eastern side of the village.  
                  
  Tim Brook

Needham Walk Part 2 takes place 11am on Sunday 8th July leaving from the Red Lion Car Park. £4.00. All welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment