Search This Blog

Friday 29 June 2018

Needham's Mr Rotavator : George Vickers

I’ve lived in Norfolk now for nearly 58 years and Needham itself since 1963. When I came to the area a government initiative had just been introduced to boost employment in the region, which had been hit by the closure in 1958 of the RAF Maintenance Unit at Pulham – the old airship site. It resulted in Howard Rotavators moving to Harleston from their previous location in West Horndon, Essex. One hundred feet of the factory was constructed with parts which we brought up to Norfolk and the remaining structure was built with local labour, employing some 200 people from the area, some from Needham.

Initially, I was allocated a council house in Dickleburgh. but I wanted to build my own house. The local district council suggested a piece of land in the middle of Needham which had been abandoned for some time. I bought the land and moved my family to a bungalow in Harleston while we set about developing the plot. I submitted my design for a new bungalow and cleared the site of brambles, weeds, the ruins of a pair of clay lump cottages – and some chicken carcasses! I dug the foundations and with the help of my wife Eileen (sometimes in charge of the cement mixer) the bungalow took shape and in 1963 we moved in. Over the years I’ve planted over 70 trees, built greenhouses and outbuildings, designed a rockery and pond area and grown lots of my own vegetables.
With the success of Harleston Industries and the subsequent factories at Halesworth and elsewhere, I joined the Board of Howard Rotavators and became Group Plant and Service Director, looking after 7 factories which employed hundreds of people.

My life here has been a good one and I hope I’ve been able to give back to the area some of the benefits that living in East Anglia has given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment